NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group

Discussion board for collectors of WW2 M1 Carbines

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Brit Proofs.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Brit Proofs.   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 2:46 am

Does any one have a Carbine with Brit Proofs ? Found on the barrel, receiver and bolt. I have two but am researching the subject so any info at all will be appreciated. Thanks, Mike

Brit Proofs. Proofs1
Back to top Go down
billyvan
Admin
billyvan

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brit Proofs.   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 8:03 am

Even though you already know about mine Mike, I will get the ball rolling with replys.

Here is one of the ones in my family

Brit Proofs. IMGP0998

and on it are these markings.

Brit Proofs. Britproofcollage1

Its another Saginaw SG, 5848xxx

I'm keen to see any others bounce
Back to top Go down
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Brit Proofs.   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 7:26 am

Jester and Alex. I really need to find out quick what 3640 BAR means. Do you think anyone on IMAS would know ?. Here's a pic of both of mine together. NP means Nitro Proof House and BNP means Birmingham Nitro Proof House. The two houses merged together as a result of the Proof House Act, about 1955. See the change from TONS to this 3640 BAR stuff. I think it maybe something to do with barrel pressure and a move from Imperial to Metric. Any help appreciated. Thanks, Mike.

Brit Proofs. Bothtogether2
Back to top Go down
billyvan
Admin
billyvan

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brit Proofs.   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 9:15 pm

Hi Mike, here is some helpful info, kindly supplied by my awesome fiance/research expert.

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/100_proof.pdf

This is an important piece of the info in the link, as it explains why conversions to prove the association between the two figures don't work.

In 1989, all proof data was marked in metric using the bar as the unit of measurement. the use of kilograms per square centimeter was dropped. Under this system, 850 bar represented standard proof, with 1200 bar being special or magnum. While it is possible to use mathematical factor to convert one pressure unit to another, this conversion is only valid if the two sets of values have been arrived at using the same pressure measuring system. For example, the 1954 Rules of Proof use the Lead Crusher Radial system. This measured pressure units in units of tons per square inch.

Hope this helps.

Alex
Back to top Go down
Millse

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Winchester M1   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 6:56 am

[img]Brit Proofs. Image109[/img][img]Brit Proofs. Image113[/img][img][/img][img]Brit Proofs. DSC00599[/img][img]Brit Proofs. Image106[/img]

A few marking on a Winchester M1, I think it was refurbished Sad during korea but never issued.
Back to top Go down
billyvan
Admin
billyvan

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brit Proofs.   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitimeSun Nov 02, 2008 7:23 am

Some nice photos, do you have any history on how your Carbine came to be in NZ?
It's an intriguing part of the research we are doing, trying to find how all these Brut Proofed marked Carbines came to be in NZ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Brit Proofs. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brit Proofs.   Brit Proofs. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Brit Proofs.
Page 1 of 1