NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group

Discussion board for collectors of WW2 M1 Carbines

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

Carbine Documents

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
billyvan
Admin

PostSubject: Carbine Documents   Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:44 am

Does anyone else have stories to tell about manuals or documentation, directly linked to the M1 Carbines?

I have a story to tell about a gentleman in Australia who served in Malaya after WW2, as a civilian he had to have an authority to carry his weapon.
He still has the slip of paper, which I have seen.
It relates to carbine Serial number 1527944.

I'm keen to hear of any other such stories, or maybe we may be able to link the Carbines current owner to the info Question Cool
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sunray
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Carbine Documents   Sun Jan 06, 2008 6:48 pm

"...able to link the Carbines current owner to the info..." Highly unlikely, given the numbers made and the very wide dispersion. Records of what unit got what firearm were not kept anywhere by any military. Records of what troopie got what rifle were unit level and most certainly were not kept.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
billyvan
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Carbine Documents   Thu Jan 10, 2008 4:11 pm

I know the possibility of the person who now owns the M1 in question (if it's still in existence) actually knowing about this post is extremely low, but as I do have the proof of the document in questions, it's worth posting the number on the slimmest of chances it may benefit someone. Very Happy

AlanD

PostSubject: M1 Carbines in Malaya   Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Hello, first post on this forum.

Both Sten Guns and M1 carbines seem to have been issued quite extensivley to the civilian plantation owners in the 'Emergency', as evidenced by these images from British Pathe.

Troops patroling in the jungle used a variaty of small arms including Remington 870's with 20" barrel, Browning A5's, Sten MK5 , Owen, Bren LMG, and MI and M2 carbines. I have read that the M2's were issued to officers as it was thought they would have better fire discipline. In theory a patrol could field up to 4 different types of SAA. Also, De Lisle carbines were used to a very limited extent.

Regards

AlanD
Sydney

Back to top Go down
View user profile

Carbine Documents

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1