NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group

Discussion board for collectors of WW2 M1 Carbines

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Slide Springs

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
billyvan
Admin
billyvan

Slide Springs Empty
PostSubject: Slide Springs   Slide Springs Icon_minitimeSat Sep 22, 2007 9:30 am

Don't believe him people, Mikey 51 is a true M1 Carbine enthusiast! Exclamation
Just a couple of questions from me.
When you say the detachable tube was used on the early Carbines, how early are you talking?
Is there a serial number range that they changed from one to the other at?
Also was it on all manufacturers as well?
Back to top Go down
woodsy
Corporal
Corporal

Slide Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slide Springs   Slide Springs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 3:20 am

I have only ever seen one carbine in NZ (in the course of my work) that had the separate return spring tube. Most of the early carbines in NZ came from the US troops stationed here and in the Solomons. These are almost always the first issue type with the 'L' rear sight and the high wood fore-end. It is quite conceivable that some of these would have had the early spring tube. Most of the later issue carbines were commercially imported after the war ('60's & '70's). There was some limited use of the M1 Carbine by NZ troops in Borneo and Malaya, and some could also have been brought home from Korea where they were very common. I suspect a few of the M2's in NZ came from this source. Very Happy

Other than saying 'few' were made I have not been able to find a specific serial number range for the separate tube variation.
Back to top Go down
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Slide Springs Empty
PostSubject: Spring Tubes   Slide Springs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 7:26 am

Alex, the available evidence suggests that Winchester and Rock-Ola used spring tubes until mid 1943 and that Quality Hardware used them throughout their entire production. You have to keep an open mind however, as due to the urgency of wartime production, manufacturers sometimes helped each other out with parts, so it could be that you will find a spring tube on a Carbine made by someone else, for example, if Winchester sent Inland some spring tube receivers. These are the S/N's that the evidence available suggests Winchester and Rock-Ola were at in mid 1943. ESTIMATIONS/Not CONCLUSIVE.

Winchester : June 43 : 1115501 - 114180X
Rock-Ola : June 43 : To - 1672000

As with everything about the Carbine, nothing is 100% clear and it is only by sharing info like we are doing here, that we will be able to learn more. Mike.
Back to top Go down
billyvan
Admin
billyvan

Slide Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slide Springs   Slide Springs Icon_minitimeSun Sep 23, 2007 10:45 am

Cheers for the info guys, I was just wondering as I have an early Inland, and it didn't have the removable spring tube.

woodsy wrote:
Most of the later issue carbines were commercially imported after the war ('60's & '70's). There was some limited use of the M1 Carbine by NZ troops in Borneo and Malaya, and some could also have been brought home from Korea where they were very common. I suspect a few of the M2's in NZ came from this source. Very Happy

Now this is a topic I would like to hear more about, If anyone has some documentation/proof of this happening please have a look here.

https://nzm1carbine.forumotion.com/Questions-f1/Tracing-how-they-got-here-t39.htm
Back to top Go down
Sunray
Private
Private

Slide Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slide Springs   Slide Springs Icon_minitimeSat Jan 05, 2008 7:50 am

"...manufacturers sometimes helped each other out with parts..." There were over 1600 parts makers spread over the entire Eastern U.S. coast. Most 'official 'manufacturers' did not make all the parts they used.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Slide Springs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slide Springs   Slide Springs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Slide Springs
Page 1 of 1