NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group

Discussion board for collectors of WW2 M1 Carbines

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

30 round mags

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
woodsy
Corporal
Corporal

30 round mags Empty
PostSubject: 30 round mags   30 round mags Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 1:04 am

What was the time frame for the manufacture of the 'hardback' mags? My M2 (original Inland production) has an A.I. marked 2nd type mag which was supposedly made by Autorye for Inland, and therefore should be WW2 manufacture. What are the chances of finding a 'hardback'? Not too good in NZ I would think!
Back to top Go down
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

30 round mags Empty
PostSubject: 30's.   30 round mags Icon_minitimeThu Sep 27, 2007 8:17 am

I'll "hit the books" for you Woodsy and see if I can find an answer to your question. In the meantime, the following markings are understood to be correct for genuine USGI 30 rnd mags.
1. M2 over KI
2. AI
3. IA (underlined)
4. SEY

As usual, repros are around for them all. From the limited info I have available about your one, it's looking real good, I'm jealous. I got four here with the "potbelly stock", all re builds, and I'm guessing Borneo/Malaya/Vietnam, as you suggest. Cheers, Mike.
Back to top Go down
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

30 round mags Empty
PostSubject: 30's   30 round mags Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 3:19 am

Woodsy, I don't think I explained that one very well sorry, my fault. There are both genuine hardbacks and seamed 30's around. Hardbacks were the first and the seamed ones came later. I don't think I put it very clearly, but what I meant to say is that everyone seems to agree that 90% of the seamed ones around are aftermarket, commercial, copies of genuine GI ones. I've been through every book I have and cannot find a date for the change. I've posted a link to a very good article under the magazine heading. This article outlines all the markings on 15's and explains the 30 thing very well. Mike.
Back to top Go down
woodsy
Corporal
Corporal

30 round mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30 round mags   30 round mags Icon_minitimeSun Sep 30, 2007 7:56 pm

Cheers Mike. I already had that info page which is very informative, but it doesn't give a time-line for the 'hardback' mags. I suspect that they were very early, perhaps only the first month or so of M2 manufacture in 1944 before being replaced with the later style. My M2 (#7563xxx) was in the middle of the last batch made by Inland and the A.I. mag I have could well be original. It is certainly in the right period.

I only have Canfield's book which is good but not as complete as the 'War Baby' series probably is. Do you have a list that shows delivery dates (month, year, etc)? My other Inland gun numbers are: M1A1 203xxx, M1 978xxx.
Back to top Go down
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

30 round mags Empty
PostSubject: Woodsy ?   30 round mags Icon_minitimeMon Oct 01, 2007 8:10 am

I have a list of what the latest is at the mo, subject to more evidence coming available.
7563XXX, July to Sept 45, very late, one of the last.
203xxx , Jan to March 43.
978xxx , Oct to Dec 43.

I'm talking about Inland receivers only, the build up of the actual item and barrel date may influence my opinion. MIA1 dates are very hard to confirm as they were just put together every now and again as the M1s rolled down the line. An open mind needed there.

Have consulted the experts on the hardback, date change question, hope to hear back soon.

I got Inland #242XXX and 834XXX here, close to yours, it'd be interesting to establish if that serial number range came down here in one big box or "all by themselves". Back when I have an answer for you. Mike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

30 round mags Empty
PostSubject: Re: 30 round mags   30 round mags Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

30 round mags
Page 1 of 1