NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group

Discussion board for collectors of WW2 M1 Carbines

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  
Share | 

M1 Carbines in British service, Operaton Market Garden

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Stan the Gun man

PostSubject: M1 Carbines in British service, Operaton Market Garden   Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:40 am

Smile I have search all over, but I cant find any records of M1s used by Paras or Glider troops during operation Market Garden... But still! Shocked I have a picture taken from General Urchardts resistance pocket at Hartwig Hotel, where a Para uses an M1! And to my knowlage there where no american troops in this area, so it couldent have been an a ''replacement'' weapon. Can any one sheed some light on this?

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mikey 51
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostSubject: Carbines in Brit Service.   Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:53 am

US Government records show that the following Carbines were delivered to the Brits through Lend Lease. 22,506 M1s, 2,104 M1A1s and 753 M2s. Info is lacking on how the Brits distributed them or how they were marked. Cheers guys, Mike.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ruffles

PostSubject: Re: M1 Carbines in British service, Operaton Market Garden   Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:50 pm

I lost my M1 when the UK started banning everything, leaving the criminals alone.
The M1 carbine in the photo at the hartenstein hotel in osterbeak was taken during the last few hours of fighting in the 'pocket', having done the area to death over the years, mainly in jeeps and uniform, living on the battlefield .30 shell cases are often found. the museum in the hartenstein hotel ( not a hotel now) probrably have one collected from the field. if you have not visited Arnhem DO SO, as it rivals Gettysburg.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

M1 Carbines in British service, Operaton Market Garden

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1