NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group

Discussion board for collectors of WW2 M1 Carbines

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wazza2222
Private
Private

Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Empty
PostSubject: Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 9:39 pm

I'll pop this topic in here as I can't find a more suitable area on the forum (other than perhaps the ammo heading in the collecting area)
I am new to the forum and to US carbines but I have one and am unpleasantly surprised at the cost of tailor made ammo.
SO... instead of spending mega over a long period, I have spent a pile now and bought a Dillon 550B reloader.
Does anyone else here reload the .30?
I have brass, powder (ADI 2205 to start) the press, and primers. What I am not too sure about is, do I need to go straight to jacketed bullets or will the lead ones do?

Cheers
Waz
Back to top Go down
wazza2222
Private
Private

PostSubject: Dies   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitimeWed Mar 12, 2008 9:42 pm

I forgot to mention, I have Hornady Custom grade New Dimension Dies... I didn't choose them, they came with the rifle.
Back to top Go down
woodsy
Corporal
Corporal

PostSubject: Re: Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 12:14 am

You will be able to use cast bullets provided they are fitted with a copper gas check. You would need a lubricator/sizer for this. Using cast bullets without the gas check will clog the gas port. Various retailers offer bulk jacketed bullets at reasonable prices.
Back to top Go down
wazza2222
Private
Private

PostSubject: Re: Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitimeThu Mar 13, 2008 4:16 am

Thanks Woodsy,
Bulk sounds good... do you recommend anyone as a dealer?
Back to top Go down
wazza2222
Private
Private

PostSubject: Frontier South African bullets   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitimeSat Mar 29, 2008 12:44 am

If anyone is out there, here is the answer to my own question!

"Hi Wazza,

Your enquiry to Frontier re: projectiles has been forwarded to me as their NZ Distributor.

Are you interested in pistol or rifle projectiles? I import a range of the CMJ (complete metal jacket) pistol calibres as per pricelist attached. If you need rifle bullets I can arrange to inport with next shipment. Currently we are doing 2 bulk imports per year

cheers,
Bill mailto:38super@clear.net.nz"

The price for jacketed .30C in 110 gr RN is $105 per 1000 incl GST and shipping!!!

Bloody bargain if you ask me.
Back to top Go down
wazza2222
Private
Private

PostSubject: Off we go!   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitimeSun Oct 12, 2008 7:13 am

Well, I finally got around to loading up.
I used the aforementioned Dillon, ADI 2205, Hornady dies and copper washed projectiles out of Rusa Leather in ChCh.
I made the cartridges up to the specs in the Lyman 49th ($25 US from Dillon Precision thank you NOT greedy NZ retailers!)
and this is what happened.
When I loaded a mag and tried the rounds for chambering, the very first round extracted and left the projectile in the lead, spraying powder everywhere as the case ejected!
It appears that the South African bullets have quite a different ogive to the originals (I am comparing to Norma, Federal, HMS and PMC which I had in my stash) and will require seating a lot deaper than the Lyman manual would suggest...
We had an M1 day at IMAS Bay of Plenty (Awakeri range) on Saturday and it was bloody excellent fun!
We shot 25 yd snap on pistol turners using reduced fig12 targets.
We then shot a 100yd trinity and then the 100yd 'Action M' and they all performed faultlessly.
I found that not having fired mine, the rear sight was not far enough left for me and I was hitting low and right. Three clicks across and a bit of manual elevation adjustment and voila! she was grouping about 6 inches or so (remember this is not benchrest, it's timed competition from prone, kneeling and offhand positions)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies   Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reloading, reloaders and reloading supplies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
NZ M1 Carbine Collectors Group :: General Disscusions :: Off Topic-
Jump to: